Back in June 2011 we were given the opportunity to try 3 different products from the company Aden + Anais and explain how we felt about their products on our two little men under 2. Needless to say after almost a year of trying, washing, & using these products I can now share them with you! I am extremely impressed with not only the quality of their line, but the craftsmanship that has gone into making these products, the variety of stylish prints/colours they have available as well as the versatility & research backing their products.
Aden + Anais was inspired by it’s founder Raegan Moya-Jones who wanted to carry the Australian tradition of swaddling babies in generously sized, gentle muslin sheets to her new home in the U.S. She found that babies seem to sleep more peacefully in muslin and the act of swaddling itself helps to build a bond between a mother and her infant.
Despite the hot days and cold nights in Australia, muslin swaddles helped keep babies comfortable. These ideals became extremely important to the founder and upon moving to the U.S. with her own family, she found there weren’t swaddles available large enough to create the same kind of effect from home.
And so, aden + anais was born. And within months of hitting the market, aden + anais swaddles starting popping up in magazines, on blogs for new mothers, in virtually every celebrity gift registry, and in stores around the country.
As they boast “Today, aden + anais, has brought the legacy of muslin together with fashion forward design to create a line of products that are as stylish as they are useful; and as simple as they are beautiful.” I have to say they are correct! I also love the way muslin looks, feels, and the way it works — to improve the lives of babies and their parents no matter who they are or where they live. Aden + Anais have created an awareness of using muslin in swaddling blankets in North America.
They say the proof is in every product that they make, and upon reviewing these products I can say with confidence these boasts are very true!
The first product we had the chance to review was a classic muslin swaddling blanket Elephant Print part of the ‘Jungle Jam’ 4 pack.
The material was super soft to the touch and I found after washing the muslin swaddler it became even softer! The elephant prints were super cute and we had used this blanket for both of our boys – Matthew who was almost 6 months at the time and Noah who was almost 2 years old. The best thing about the muslin swaddling wrap is the fact that you can use it on newborns, but because of it’s size, you get to use it when they are older as cuddling blankets or small sheets – perfect for a 6 month old or a 2 year old in the summer! These wraps measure 47” x 47”, the perfect size in my opinion for a swaddling blanket.
These muslin Swaddling Blankets are made of 100% Cotton Muslin. They are super breathable, soft, & it’s open weave let’s the baby’s body temperature regulate itself naturally, helping reduce the risk of overheating (extremely important in hotter climates) as well as preventing SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Aden + Anais boast that these wraps are gentle on baby’s skin and durable for everyday use, while washing makes them softer – and after washing our wrap, it is most definitely softer. Today we still have the swaddling blankets & they have survived many, many washes and it has still maintained the superior quality & condition it had been in when we initially used it, as well as maintaining that softness, perfect for baby.
We have swaddled our youngest son Matthew in these blankets from almost 6 months, to about 10 months. The other blankets we have used to swaddle our sons are receiving blankets from kushies, Gerber, and a few other name brand blankets. In comparison I feel that these Aden + Anais swaddling blankets (earthly bamboo swaddlers and classic muslin cotton swaddlers) are extremely worth their price and most definitely better than the rest in my opinion! The size is what has set them apart and the quality of the material, breathability and other features make these one of my favourite go-to blankets, not only for swaddling but for many other things as well.
Here is a great picture tutorial on HOW to Swaddle your baby:
Another great thing about these wraps are that they are versatile.. you can use your wrap not only to swaddle your baby, but as a burp cloth, nursing/stroller cover on hot days, portable crib sheet, stroller & car seat liners, tummy time blankets, change table covers and the list continues!
We have had the opportunity to use these wraps as:
1. Burp cloths – I find they are nice and large to cover all of your shoulder / outfit – especially if you are wearing nice clothing.
2. Nursing/Stroller Cover – Nursing cover it works as I found when working out on a trail and covering Matthew ( at about 6 months), he didn’t try to push it off of him b/c it was super breathable – compared with some blankets I have used. But even as it’s breathable, it is NOT see-through enough to allow my breast to be exposed to the world! The stroller cover was great as well, but I recommend tying the edges or clipping the edges to the sides of the stroller as it frequently tried to blow off the stroller. (to show you the quality & how popular these blankets have become – even famous celebrities have used them for their precious cargo’s):
3. Portable Crib Sheet – most definitely! We had made many long trips to see my husband’s family and they had a playpen, this blanket fit perfectly tucked into the sides of the playpen underneath his body.
4. Stroller Liner – I found that when we were at a parade or something where the sun was extremely hot, these made perfect liners, however, I did not have the chance to use it as a carseat liner because I didn’t like the idea of not being able to properly latch the baby into the carseats. They made excellent holding blankets for my 2 year old on looong car trips to and from Simcoe to help him sleep though.
5. Tummy Time Blankets – great because of their size and most definitely on carpets that may be too rough for their bellies, etc. Below is one of Aden + Anais babies featured on their classic muslin swaddling blanket found in the “Star Bright” 4 pack:
6. Change Table Covers – this has actually been one out of necessity! There have been a few times we had forgot our change pad at home while shopping and needed to change our little man! Of course no one wants their baby’s bumz to touch public change tables – who knows what is on them – so we improvised and used his blanket to cover the table! If it wasn’t quite as large we would have had issues, but it was the perfect size during a change that even when it bunched up underneath him, he was still protected from the germs that would have been on that change table.
Below is a video that is part of the ‘Swaddle Love’ book created by the Aden + Anais Founder: Swaddle Love Chapter 1 from Aden + Anais
These swaddling blankets are one of the most SOFTEST blankets I have ever felt! They are so soft in fact that when swaddled in them, I found our son Matthew usually went right to sleep – even when used as a burp cloth over my shoulder.
They can be used in almost all the same ways the classic swaddling blankets can be and should I have had a newborn, I would have chosen this 3 pack for my newborn.
These Pack of three muslin swaddling blankets are made using rayon from bamboo fiber. These wraps are also extra large, measuring 47” x 47”, so that new and seasoned parents alike can swaddle babies of all sizes with ease.
Our eldest son Noah (23 months) also preferred these blankets to hold around the house or when he wanted something to cuddle with at night time. They were the perfect solution for hot summer nights when nothing else would be as breathable or soft.
As with the classic muslin swaddling blankets, they can be used for many different things from burp cloths, stroller/nursing covers, playpen / crib covers and much more.
This particular one is the ‘Dreamer Sleeping Bag’ from Aden + Anais in Medium (6-12 months). Matthew fit quite well in this bag till 12 months and probably could have fit longer if we had used it longer. The sizing chart can be found below:
The Sleeping Bag is made from 100% cotton muslin and designed to fit over baby’s pajamas (compared with competing styles that are built to wear ‘as’ pajamas) which ensures a safe night’s sleep by elminating loose crib blankets – which can be dangerous.
Again like the muslin swaddling blankets and bamboo swaddling blankets they are ultra breathable, and really get softer after each wash. Each sleeping bag zips from the bottom (the most ideal sleeping bag solution, making diaper changes SUPER easy – keeping baby asleep from not having to open the rest of their pajamas), and a strip of muslin over the zipper by baby’s face provides extra comfort. I found this feature to set it apart from their competition and it definitely prevented unwanted pinching of skin via a zipper. Aden and anais are known for their award-winning sleeping bags and are the perfect sleepwear to follow their popular swaddling blankets.
I found the softness and breathability of this product to really help make bedtime as comfortable and soft as it should be. The EASE of USE of this product makes it a winner in my opinion because they truly thought of all the things that can make a parent’s job much easier when it comes to night time. My most favourite feature of this sleep bag is the fact that the zipper does up from the bottom!
Overall Aden + Anais has impressed me with their quality products, scientific research to back up findings on how beneficial swaddling can be for you and your baby, as well as the other stylish and fun products they have that compliment each other. We have decided to take on this manufacturer as we strongly believe in their products and have/ will continue to use their products for our children. I give all of these products a 9.5 out of 10 for functionality, price, quality, & adoreable selection of prints / fabrics.