It’s no secret that for some families washing cloth diapers can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be tricky to Wash Cloth Diapers in a HE Top Loader. HE Top Loaders are designed to not have an agitator, so that more clothes can be washed per cycle and so that money cna be saved on using less water.
- Wash cloth diapers frequently. We generally recommend washing at least every two days because this will keep the ammonia at bay and keep the size of loads much smaller. High Efficiency Top Loaders use a lot less water than regular Top Load washing machines do and it doesn’t help that cloth diapers are designed to be very absorbent.
- We highly recommend contacting the manufacturer of your High Efficiency Top Loader and asking them if they have any tips for washing cloth diapers.
- Consider using less detergent because your washing machine uses less water. The reason we suggest using less detergent is because the machine is using less water and it will need less detergent to properly dissolve.
- Most High Efficiency Top Loaders have a sensor that detects the weight of the clothing and then adds a certain amount of water to the machine. Consider adding a large very wet bath towel or bath math to the washing machine.
- On some High Efficiency Top Loaders water-saver mode can be turned off, so it will use additional water.
- As a very last resort, consider soaking the diapers for a little while before washing, or adding additional water manually to the machine.
Although routines will be different for every family washing cloth diapers in a High Efficiency Top Load washing machine we recommend the following cloth diaper laundry routine:
- Quick wash on warm (no spin with no detergent),
- Rinse (no spin with no detergent),
- Bulk Settings / Sheets Settings (with spin and detergent),
- Rinse. *
- cold one final rinse. *
- Hang Dry Covers and Fluff dry inserts on the lowest dryer setting.
* It is preferable to use a warm or hot rinse cycle at the end if your machine allows.
Do you have more tips to add? Please feel free to leave a comment and share this article if you find it helpful.